A Dad's Thoughts for His Son

My father spoke at my brother's funeral last week. That's a heart-wrenching statement to make. However, I wanted to remember his message, particularly since he included the poem he wants recited at his own funeral, so figured I'd transcribe my notes here.


He wanted to share with those in attendance things he had taught George, things that he knew George believed also. I loved the way he used "I" instead of the usual "we" in stating these Articles of Faith.

  1. I believe in God, the Eternal Father, in in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
  2. I believe that men will be punished for their own sins. . .
  3. I believe that through the Atonement of Christ, I can be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel.
  4. I believe that the first principles and ordinances of the gospel are, first, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, second, repentance, third, baptism by immersion . . ., fourth, laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
He shared a few personal thoughts and stories and then ended with this poem by Robert Frost, mentioning that while George is now "sleeping" we each still have "miles to go" before we can, so let's make the most of it!


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though; 
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Ben's daughter, Red, sang a song from Trolls, which was the last movie she saw with her grandma and Uncle George. True Colors came from a scene in the movie that was their mutual favorite, and she'll always remember George when she thinks of it. It's difficult singing in front of a bunch of people, and she did a great job.

Your true colors
True colors are beautiful
I see your true colors
Shining through (true colors)
I see your true colors
And that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
(You can read all the lyrics here.)


Friends Val Meyer and Harry Holsington and our brother Scott shared memories, some of which included guns and fishing, big trucks and light parades, helping with bike racing and Boy Scouts. George loved the outdoors. He loved his big boots and hats. He loved people. He had a great smile and was always helping others. He epitomized the commandment found in Matthew, "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

President Keith Stutznegger, who was bishop when George and Naomi were married, spoke on hope, and how it can help us endure trials and suffering. He reminded us that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is real, counseled each of us to pray to know how much the Lord loves us, encouraged us to always press forward in hope.

Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life. (2 Nephi 31:20)


Naomi picked "Families can be Together Forever" and "God be with You till We Meet Again" for the hymns, which are perfect bookmarks for funerals. I'm so grateful for a loving family and loyal friends, for my Savior and my testimony of His gospel, including the plan of happiness and knowledge of life after death. Although funerals are sad and somber occasions, and rightfully so, I’m grateful my memories of that day are filled with kindness, peace and compassion.


Comments

Popular Posts