My Work

Doctrine & Covenants 11


If I had to pick a favorite section from the Doctrine and Covenants, this would be it. That's because when I read it while participating in the Hill Cumorah Pageant (click here and scroll to the end), it made a huge impact on my life. It was the summer between my first and second years of college. That's a hard time of life - so many options and choices - and I was wondering what I needed to do. Here are some of the phrases that spoke to me:


"Keep my commandments."
"Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word."
"Study my word."
"Build upon my rock, which is my gospel."
"Treasure up [these things] in your heart."
"I speak unto all who have good desires."
"Thou hast a gift."
"You shall be the means of doing much good."

After reading this section, the Spirit confirmed to me that my "job" at that time was to be a good student. I didn't need to worry about whether or not to serve a mission. I didn't need to worry about who to marry yet. I just needed to study and learn as much as I could so that I would be prepared for whatever the future brought. That was a great feeling. I love recalling my experience that summer. It always brings me peace and comfort to know that Heavenly Father is watching over me and will guide me when I need counsel and direction.

A few years ago, Elder Bednar said the following in general conference. I love this new way of looking at one of my favorite scriptures.


One of the most well-known and frequently cited passages of scripture is found in Moses 1:39. This verse clearly and concisely describes the work of the Eternal Father: “For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (emphasis added).

A companion scripture found in the Doctrine and Covenants describes with equal clarity and conciseness our primary work as the sons and daughters of the Eternal Father. Interestingly, this verse does not seem to be as well known and is not quoted with great frequency. “Behold, this is your work, to keep my commandments, yea, with all your might, mind and strength” (D&C 11:20; emphasis added).

Thus, the Father’s work is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of His children. Our work is to keep His commandments with all of our might, mind, and strength—and we thereby become chosen and, through the Holy Ghost, receive and recognize the tender mercies of the Lord in our daily lives.

Comments

Popular Posts