Revelation

Doctrine & Covenants 8

What is the "gift of Aaron" that was given to Oliver Cowdery? I thought a bit, and went to Exodus, and realized it was to be a spokesman. Then I found this quote by Joseph Field Smith. (It was nice to know I was on the right track!)

"There was another gift bestowed upon Oliver Cowdery, and that was the gift of Aaron. Like Aaron with his rod in his hand going before Moses as a spokesman, so Oliver Cowdery was to go before Joseph Smith. Whatever he should ask the Lord by power of this gift should be granted if asked in faith and in wisdom. Oliver was blessed with the great honor of holding the keys of this dispensation with Joseph Smith, and like Aaron, did become a spokesman on numerous occasions. It was Oliver who delivered the first public discourse in this dispensation." (Roy W. Doxey, comp., Latter-day Prophets and the Doctrine and Covenants [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1978], 1: 82

This quote was posted on a website (here) that I'll probably use again. There are a lot of general authority quotes, and the sources are well documented.

D&C 8:10 - "Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith."

1 Nephi 15:11 - "If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you."

2 Nephi 4:35 - Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness."

3 Nephi 27:28-29 - "Whatsoever things ye shall ask the Father in my name shall be given unto you. Therefore, ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh, receiveth; and unto him that knocketh, it shall be opened."

Elder David A. Bednar - "Please notice the requirement to ask in faith, which I understand to mean the necessity to not only express but to do, the dual obligation to both plead and to perform, the requirement to communicate and to act."

Comments

Popular Posts