The Law

Doctrine & Covenants 42
Hearken, Hear, and Obey


vs. 14 - Don't teach without the Spirit. In fact, you can't teach spiritual things without the Spirit, because he's the real teacher, not you. For a couple of great talks on this subject, try Elder Holland and Elder Perry.

vs. 29 - "If thou lovest me thou shalt serve me and keep all my commandments."
I love this poetic version of the Ten Commandments. You can find it set to music here.

Thou shalt have no gods but Me.
Before no idols bow thy knee.
Take not the name of God in vain.
Do not the Sabbath day profane.
Honor thy parents all thy days.
Take not life in wanton ways.
Be faithful in thy marriage trust.
And never steal or be unjust.
Always tell the truth—and love it.
What is thy neighbor’s, do not covet.
And the greatest commandments of all:
With all thy heart, love God above;
And as thyself thy neighbor love.

vs. 36 gives us the reason for the welfare program - "That my covenant people may be gathered in one in that day when I shall come to my temple." The riches of the Gentiles are to be used to help the poor of the house of Israel as we strive to become a Zion people.

Isn't it neat how the scriptures give us practical, useful ideas and counsel?
vs. 40 - "Let all thy garments be plain, and their beauty the work of thine own hands."
vs. 41 - "Let all things be done in cleanliness."
vs. 42 - "Thou shalt not be idle." I love this quote by Elder Maxwell, and also President Kimball: "Even if work were not an economic necessity, it is a spiritual necessity."

Comments

Popular Posts