"Act upon this Land as for Years"

Doctrine & Covenants 51
Faithful Stewards

"I commend to you the revelations of God as the standard by which we must live our lives and by which we must measure every decision and every deed. Accordingly, when you have worries and challenges, face them by turning to the scriptures and the prophets" (President Howard W. Hunter).

I know that this counsel works and just thought I'd share one example. Before we moved here, we lived in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Wayne accepted the job in Clearwater in June 2001 and we put our house on the market. When school started at the end of August, it still hadn't sold. Although Wayne was already working here, he was able to use a company apartment during the week and come home for the weekends. It wasn't ideal, but it was working.

I had made it a practice to volunteer in the school and my biggest concern was whether to do that again for that school year, knowing that as soon as we sold our house I would have to quit. I didn't want to start something I couldn't finish. Yet I had no idea how long the situation would last. It was very probable that we'd spend the whole school year there and then I'd feel badly for not volunteering (and I'd also be pretty bored with nothing to do except keep the house "prospective buyer" ready).

One day as I was reading the scriptures the following phrase jumped out at me - "wherefore let them act upon this land as for years, and this shall turn unto them for their good." (D&C 51:17 - given to the Saints in Kirtland who knew that eventually they would be leaving) So, I joined the school committee and worked in the classrooms and had some great experiences. And, yes, I did have to resign half-way through the school year when we finally moved in February, but it worked out.

You really can find answers to current concerns in the scriptures.

This is just another example of the little miracles you find as you read and study the scriptures. As I prepared my visiting teaching message for April I was reminded of this experience with finding answers in the scriptures. Imagine my delight when I went to re-find the verse (I don't keep the reference memorized, just know that it's somewhere on the right hand page, top right, in the middle of the D&C), and discovered it was at my bookmark, to be read next!

Comments

Popular Posts