Light and Truth

Doctrine & Covenants 93

Here's another section that is so full of instruction and insights that it would be impossible to even scratch the surface in a little blog post. However, I guess I can write something to share a few things I've learned.

Verse 1 is one of Wayne's favorite scriptures: "Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am." Prayer, repentance, obedience - the steps to knowing God are outlined for us so simply, aren't they?

Our family home evening lesson a couple of weeks ago (the best one ever) was on intelligence, and we read and discussed verse 29: "Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be." That was a wonderful discussion. And then just a few days after that I was flipping through an old Ensign and found a terrific article by President Eyring. After quoting D&C 93:28 ("He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light."), he noted that we need to build our lives on a sure foundation of truth. As we learn of Christ and obey his teachings, we gain even more truth and light and knowledge. The key is obedience.

I like this quote from that talk: "You will notice that the work is simple obedience. It is not complicated things; it is not fancy things or getting great spiritual manifestations. This is work within the abilities of the most humble and the least educated."

Verse 31 reminds us that we have our agency. We can choose to accept light and truth, and thereby gain even more, or we can choose to ignore it. We also have a responsibility to teach these things to our children (verse 40), in fact, it's a commandment. And that's the best way to prepare them for their futures, and ours as well.

Comments

Popular Posts