The Olive Leaf

Doctrine & Covenants 88


This section, given during a time of turmoil for the saints, was entitled "The Olive Leaf" and so I thought I'd share some of the peaceful and comforting parts of it.

First of all, Jesus Christ is the light of truth. This light is in all things and "is the law by which all things are governed." We can have confidence that God is in charge.

Next we have the promise of the resurrection, and the knowledge that if we're worthy we can return to the presence of Heavenly Father and live on this earth forever, in a magnificent, glorified state. God understands everything. All we have to do is follow his laws, just as the earth and planets do, and someday we'll be able to understand as well.

"Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you." "He that seeketh me early shall find me." God keeps his promises.

We don't have to do things alone - "teach one another," "seek learning," "that all may be edified of all" - we're all working together.

I have the ability to establish a house of prayer, fasting, faith, learning, glory, order, God. It's comforting to know that praying comes before cleaning! Yet I need to have a house of order in order to have a house of God. That's strong motivation for me.

Lastly, charity is the bond of perfectness and peace. (See Colossians 3:14-15.) As I strive to become more Christlike by developing charity, I can find peace.

Comments

Popular Posts