Work and Live

Doctrine & Covenants 90-92

One of my favorite phrases in the Doctrine & Covenants is found in one of the shortest sections - 92:2 - "You shall be a lively member." Isn't there a lot of meaning in that? Am I really a living, lively member, and not a dead, lifeless one? Am I doing my part to bring life and success to the kingdom of God? For some reason the phrase strikes me as being just a touch silly, which makes me want to ponder it more, and that's a good thing.

President Howard W. Hunter taught: "To answer affirmatively the question, 'Am I a living member?' confirms our commitment. It means that we now and always will love God and our neighbors as ourselves. It means our actions will reflect who we are and what we believe. It means that we are every day Christians, walking as Christ would have us walk."

And in Section 90 we learn some additional things that we need to do to be a contributing member of the church and of society -
  • set things in order
  • study and learn
  • search diligently
  • pray always
  • be believing
  • look for the good in all things
  • stay away from pride
  • "keep slothfulness and uncleanness far from you"

And so now I guess I should go clean the bathrooms, wash the dishes, and vacuum the floors!

Comments

Popular Posts