The Pure in Heart

Doctrine & Covenants 97

I've gotten a lot of use out of this section recently, because that's where the bookmark's been for a while! I love the beginning phrase - "my friends" - isn't it great that the Savior considers us his friends? And he reminds us that it is through his Spirit that we can know his will concerning others. That's been a comforting thought as I struggle to fulfill my church calling. Another comforting thought is found in verse 8:

"All among them who know their hearts are honest, and are broken, and their spirits contrite, and are willing to observe their covenants by sacrifice - yea, every sacrifice which I, the Lord, shall command - they are accepted of me."

I have notes by verse 4 reminding me of Elder Holland's "Abide in Me" talk. We need to "be permanent" in the gospel and remember that "He who picks up one end of the stick, picks up the other." Let's keep the promises we've made to ourself and our Heavenly Father.

Finally, we're reminded that Zion is the pure in heart, that the pure in heart shall see God, and that Zion shall escape the Lord's wrath "if she observe to do all things whatsovever I have commanded her."

Comments

Popular Posts