GCBC - Elder Clayton

General Conference Book Club
"The Time Shall Come" by L. Whitney Clayton

My first thought as I listened to Elder Clayton's talk was "Hey! I've been to Lima, too!" It was a great experience, but that really has nothing to do with his talk.The only note I took was after he quoted Moroni telling Joseph Smith "God has a work for you to do." God has a work for me to do as well; I just need to figure out what that is and then do it. That's what I've been pondering for the last couple of weeks. Am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing? What is my mission here on earth? How will I accomplish it? I have a responsibility to find that out, and I have the promise that I can. My patriarchal blessing is a wonderful tool, as are studying the scriptures and strengthening my testimony - topics that were discussed in the two talks before Elder Clayton spoke. Actually, I have a pretty good idea of my personal mission, and I'm grateful my Heavenly Father has confidence in my ability to complete it.

That said, it was great to take the opportunity to read the talk again. My favorite part was this quote:

"This work of the Lord is indeed great and marvelous, but it moves forward essentially unnoticed by many of mankind’s political, cultural, and academic leaders. It progresses one heart and one family at a time, silently and unobtrusively, its sacred message blessing people everywhere."

I also loved the quote from President Hinckley, given in conference eight years ago, and appreciated being able to read the entire thing:

"It was said that at one time the sun never set on the British Empire. That empire has now been diminished. But it is true that the sun never sets on this work of the Lord as it is touching the lives of people across the earth.

"And this is only the beginning. We have scarcely scratched the surface. We are engaged in a work for the souls of men and women everywhere. Our work knows no boundaries. Under the providence of the Lord it will continue. Those nations now closed to us will someday be open. That is my faith. That is my belief. That is my testimony.

"The little stone which was cut out of the mountain without hands is rolling forth to fill the earth (see Dan. 2:31–45; D&C 65:2).

"To the Latter-day Saints everywhere, as we gather in this great conference I say, may God bless you. Keep the faith; be true to your covenants. Walk in the light of the gospel. Build the kingdom of God in the earth.

"The Church is in wonderful condition and can and will improve. It will grow and strengthen.

"We are ordinary people who are engaged in an extraordinary undertaking."

The Church will continue to grow and spread until it covers the whole earth. That's a promise. What am I doing to help that happen? I may be just ordinary, but a prophet of God as told us that's okay. It's a wonderful thing to be part of something so extraordinary as "building the kingdom of God in the earth."

Comments

  1. Thanks for your thoughts. I often wonder if I am doing the work God wants me to do. My patriarchal blessing is a pretty good guide for me, too - as are the scriptures and prayer. I love that the Lord trusts us ordinary people to help Him with His work! Probably because He knows there's no way we can mess it up :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts