GCBC - Elder Bednar

General Conference Book Club
Elder David A. Bednar

The other day we sang "Turn Your Hearts" (Hymn 291) for family scripture and prayer. I love the message of its words, which reminded me of this latest general conference talk by Elder Bednar.

Turn your hearts; the Lord is coming,
Malachi the prophet said.
Turn your hearts in preparation
To the work of exaltation
For the living and the dead.

In the latter days Elijah
Will renew the plan sublime.
He will teach you and remind you
Of the promises that bind you
To all men throughout all time.

Turn your hearts toward your parents --
Generations gone before.
May you seek until you find them;
In the temple seal and bind them
To your hearts forevermore.

Turn in love to all your children --
Generations yet to be.
May your deeds of gospel giving,
Temple service, righteous living,
Bless them all eternally.

I especially enjoyed the reminder that "family history" goes both directions - forward and back. I need to seek out my ancestors, yet I also need to be a good example to my children and grandchildren. I love family history work, and I am grateful for temple covenants that can seal and bind us together forever.
Elder Bednar taught that "as members of Christ's restored Church, we have the covenant responsibility to search out our ancestors and provide for them the saving ordinances of the gospel." This reminded me of a quote by Elder Russell M. Nelson that "every activity, every lesson, all we do in the Church, point to the Lord and His holy house" which he gave in general conference in 2001 and essentially repeated in 2008. Temple work is important, and it's the little things we do every day, in our homes and in our callings, that help us focus on this great work of salvation.

I also appreciated Elder Bednar's challenge to the youth to get involved. I'm excited to see what happens as a result of that challenge!

Read more insights from this talk here on Stephanie's website.

Comments

Popular Posts