Gratitude Day One

I'm trying to do better at following through on promptings (see the previous post), so when I had the idea to compile a list of 30 scriptures on gratitude from the Book of Mormon for the sister I visit teach, I did. And since it doesn't take much additional effort to post them here, I figured I would. At the very least, it will keep this principle of giving thanks uppermost in my own mind for the month. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!


I even thought about putting them in some kind of organized progression of theme, but finally decided that just going from 1 Nephi to Moroni was organization enough. This first verse doesn't exactly mention "thanksgiving" yet whenever I read it I'm grateful for so many things. First, it reminds me of Elder Bednar's talk on The Tender Mercies of the Lord. Second, it reminds me of President Hinckley's challenge in August of 2005** to read the Book of Mormon before the end of the year. Michelle and I read it together, looking for examples of tender mercies; it was a wonderful experience. So, in my mind, this is definitely a verse that shows gratitude to the Lord for all of our many blessings. And that's what Thanksgiving is all about.

1 Nephi 1:20
"And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had cast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away. But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

**"We studied the Book of Mormon in Sunday School this past year. Nonetheless I offer a challenge to members of the Church throughout the world and to our friends everywhere to read or reread the Book of Mormon. If you will read a bit more than one and one-half chapters a day, you will be able to finish the book before the end of this year. . . .
"Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God." (Gordon B. Hinckley, August 2005 Ensign)

Comments

  1. I remember taking that challenge. And every promise was fulfilled in my life. I love reading the Book of Mormon, and I think that I am going to do the 30 days of gratitude with my kids and read your scriptures, then have them tell me something they are grateful for and make a "gratitude chain" with paper and hang it up for Thanksgiving to remind us of the things we are thankful for. I am excited to read the scriptures about gratitude you will post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts