GCBC - Elder Perry

General Conference Book Club
Elder L. Tom Perry
"Perfect Love Casteth Out Fear"

This morning as I read in the Book of Mormon I was reminded that the Nephites had success in defeating the Lamanites because they had listened to their leaders and followed their counsel.  And that reminded me that I need to follow through on this challenge to myself to keep reviewing the general conference talks.  How can I follow the counsel of the prophets if I don't know it?  And so, although I've been reading the talks, I haven't made the time to write my thoughts.  Today I plan on "finishing" what I've started!

I loved Elder Perry's idea that we should feel like our lives are an "open house" for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I need to always remember that I'm supposed to be a shining light on a hill, that I'm supposed to be setting a good example for those around me.  I don't need to be afraid of what others think.  I need to remember that the gospel is a gospel of love, it's good news, and that it brings happiness to me.  Why wouldn't I want others to have that happiness as well?

I liked this quote: "The message of the gospel of Jesus Christ is unlike anything else you will share with others. In the information age, it is the most valuable information in all the world. There is no question about its worth. It is a pearl of great price."


I also liked his list.  (I like lists!)

  1. Be bold in our declaration of Jesus Christ.
  2. Be righteous examples to others.
  3. Speak up about the church.
Now that I think about it, this talk goes perfectly with my last blog post.  Part of preparing our children to serve missions is to give them opportunities to share the gospel before they leave.  Parents need to lead by example.  I don't feel I've done my best in this area, but that's why repentance exists.  I know we really do have the "most valuable information in all the world" and I have a responsibility to do my part to help share that message.

Comments

Popular Posts