Swiss Converts - 1850s

Wayne had great-something grandparents join the church in Switzerland in the 1850s. While trying to find more information on them, I came across this little history/biography of two men - Henry Hug and Jacob Tobler - who served missions in Switzerland about that time and then helped settle Santa Clara in southern Utah. It's quite fascinating, and I wanted to post the link here so I could find it again.

Heinrich Hug and Jacob Tobler: from Switzerland to Santa Clara

One of the more interesting aspects of the story is how two men with similar experiences reacted differently. One of them became disaffected with Brigham Young, left the church, and moved to Oregon.  The other stayed faithful and has generations of descendants who honor him. That's definitely something to ponder, particularly in how it relates to my own actions and testimony.

One of the resources the author used was a book called "One Hundred Years of Hugs: The Story of the Hug Family in Switzerland and America" which also sounds intriguing. I'm not sure if it's our actual ancestors, but I'm sure the experiences outlined will be similar. Unfortunately, the closest copy of the book to me is about 1,000 miles away in the Library of Congress. However, there's also a copy in the Harold B. Lee Library on the BYU campus. I'll have to remember to look for it the next time we're in Provo!

Comments

Popular Posts