Don't Judge!

Surprise! Surprise!

I dreamt death came the other night
And heaven's gate swung wide;
With kindly grace an angel came
To usher me inside.

And there to my astonishment
Stood folks I'd known on earth,
Some of whom I'd judged unfit
And of but little worth.

Indignant words rose to my lips,
But never were set free,
For every face showed stunned surprise;
NOT ONE expected ME! 

Anonymous

Adapted from "A Book of Prayer" collected and compiled by Canon W. F. Shail, Christ Church, Dorset, United Kingdom

Comments

  1. Very good poem. I prefer to use two separate words in place of "judge". First is condemn, as in don't condemn someone or something; only God the Father and the Savior can pronounce judgement to condemn. The second is discern, as in we must discern truth from error and right from wrong. Everyday we make judgments by discerning to accept or reject someone or something.

    Just my little pet peeve about words and their meanings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts