Prophetic Priorities

I have notes and papers in several places, which I try to keep organized, but I've found that doing a search on my blog helps me find things faster, so I'm recording this here. As a side bonus, maybe this will help someone else as well.

A while back I was given a list of current "prophetic priorities" which I want to use as I fulfill my Relief Society calling. They include:
  1. Strengthen faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and His Atonement
  2. Observe the Sabbath day both at church and at home
  3. Teach in the Savior's way
  4. Teach repentance and baptize converts
  5. Understand the great latter-day work of temples
  6. Hasten the work on both sides of the veil
I'm having a difficult time finding an "official" source for this list, but I still think it's helpful anyway. God is unchanging and these six principles will always be important. I did find a talk given ten years ago at a BYU devotional - Prophetic Priorities - which contained this list:
  1. Temple work and building temples
  2. Paying tithing
  3. Avoiding unnecessary debt
  4. Extending forgiveness to others
  5. The family
  6. Personal testimony
You'll notice that some things stayed the same and some things changed. It's still important to pay our tithing and forgive others, but for some reason today we need to have Sabbath day observance emphasized more than tithing. 

In fact, I found another BYU devotional from 2013 - Prophetic Priorities and Dedicated Disciples - with another set of priorities:
  1. Missionary work
  2. Teaching and learning for youth
  3. Temple and family history work
So, if you're reading this, know that while it may be interesting and informative, knowing what the current priorities of the prophet are would be more important and beneficial to you. I'm grateful for continued revelation along with personal inspiration!


President Monson could have chosen any of a number of different topics at the latest general conference (April 2017),but he picked the importance of the Book of Mormon. I'd say that makes it a prophetic priority. He also announced five new temples, which is another consistent priority of the prophets.

Comments

Popular Posts