Attribute #13 - Creativity


We're half-way to Christmas. That means you've met all our grandchildren and now it's time to start on our children. Because she's our youngest, Michelle is first for this little exercise. When I think of her I think of creativity. Here's one of her early creations; isn't it nice it has a Christmas theme?


And here's another from ten years later, (also with the holiday theme), created with markers, one of her preferred methods of expression.


One of her current creative outlets is a new blog - Made With Michelle. And there are even more examples at her old blog - Cliché Creativity.

Elephant sweatshirts, hair bows and graphic design.
And be sure to check out her Instagram accounts as well! Look at all the avenues for sharing creativity that are available now!
This year's holiday project!
Talking of creativity reminds me of one of President Uchtdorf's classic talks. In it he said:

You may think you don’t have talents, but that is a false assumption, for we all have talents and gifts, every one of us. The bounds of creativity extend far beyond the limits of a canvas or a sheet of paper and do not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter.

It wasn't until I heard that talk that I realized making dinner or organizing a closet was a form of creativity. For some reason that change in mindset elevates ordinary household chores.

Creativity: the ability to transcend traditional ideas and to create meaningful new ones; to design and produce through imagination and skill; originality; making or inventing

Moses 1:33
And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten. 

Creativity is definitely a Christ-like attribute, and I'm grateful for Michelle's example in this area, and for the opportunities I'm given to practice this skill every day.


I also just discovered a talk originally given over 50 years ago, which is one I'll want to re-read and ponder. Maybe you will also. (And another one from just a couple of years ago.)

Creativity and the Latter-day Saint by Crawford Gates
Creativity by Claudine Bigelow

The second talk includes this seasonally appropriate quote:

What other evidence do we have of our creativity before we came here to earth? If we look closely at the scriptures we find radiant bursts of creativity from angels in important moments through time. A good example of this is the birth of our Savior. Luke tells us: “And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”

I don’t think it is far-fetched to assume that this praise was heavenly music. I believe with all my heart that the heavenly host included all those who love the Savior and whose hearts resonate with Him. What I am trying to say is, I think we would have been included. If you could have been there, would you have? I wouldn’t have missed it. The veil is thin for me on that experience. I can almost touch it in my memory every Christmas when we raise our voices in song. Our joy must have been abundant in that moment; the heavens overflowed.

Just something else to think about as we sing the beautiful hymns and carols of Christmas!

Our beautiful bride in the dress we created together.

Comments

Popular Posts