Attribute #18 - Sacrifice


When I think of this wonderful daughter-in-law, I think of sacrifice. The most obvious one is the sacrifices Alicia has made to support Jeff as he finishes his education. Hopefully, the day will soon come when they can trade places in that area. (Just a few more months until graduation!)


I'm glad that he also recognizes Alicia's great example of service and sacrifice:

(Did you catch the reference to the Christmas classic The Grinch Who Stole Christmas?)

Sacrifice: An act of offering; the surrender of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.

Romans 12:1
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.




Although she doesn't know it, Alicia actually found the quote below for me; it was attached to a post revealing her beautifully prepared classroom, something she had spent weeks turning from a dreary spot into a place where children would be excited to learn.


"We love what we sacrifice for and we sacrifice for what we love." 

Interestingly enough, that quote comes from a Christmas message given in 1988 by Ezra Taft Benson. It's a bit long, but I'd enourage you to read it. It includes the famous quote from Joseph Smith that sacrifice is necessary in order to receive eternal life. It includes President Benson's teaching that God can make more out of our lives than we could on our own. And it includes this:

So I ask you, what can we possibly give to the Lord this Christmastime? Considering all that He has done and is doing for us, there is something that we might give Him in return. Christ’s great gift to us was His life and sacrifice. Should that not then be our small gift to Him—our lives and sacrifices, not only now but in the future?



I'm grateful I have lots of examples to follow of people willing to sacrifice and serve others, and to do it willingly and with a smile. Let's all continue to #LightTheWorld through serving others as we countdown the days to Christmas!



Note: For some reason, I was just reminded of another one of my favorite quotes, one that encourages me to keep pressing forward when life is difficult, and to not give up on trying to be more like the Savior. We know he completed his mission, and I know with his help I can complete mine. 

Jesus’ responsibility as Advocate, Savior, and Redeemer was foredetermined in premortal realms and fulfilled by His Atonement (see Job 19:25–26; Matt. 1:21; Abr. 3:24–27). Our responsibility is to remember, to repent, and to be righteous. (Russell M. Nelson, April 2000 general conference)

Comments

Popular Posts