Attribute #20 - Organization



One of the first things we noticed when we met Elizabeth is that she is a planner. And that's a wonderful attribute to have!

Organization: Arranging or forming into a coherent unity or functioning whole; systematic planning; coordination of activities

D&C 88:74
Organize yourselves, and prepare yourselves, and sanctify yourselves; yea, purify your hearts, and cleanse your hands and your feet before me, that I may make you clean;

D&C 88:119
Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;


When you visit the temple, everything is calm and peaceful and organized. I imagine it was that way when Jesus visited the temple, and I'm grateful that Elizabeth and David attend the temple regularly. I've learned that as I do so, I can bring the feelings of the temple home, and it's much easier to feel organized there.


That doesn't mean it's easy! Organizing a family is hard work, and it involves a lot of the other Christ-like attributes on the list. But it's worth all our efforts.


One of my favorite quotes comes from Elder Carlos E. Aguero:

The price for good things is paid in advance by our patience, humility, and obedience, especially during trials. If you don’t give up during your trials or let frustration and discouragement overcome you, trials will refine you spiritually and prepare you for better things. You will see the fulfillment of beautiful miracles in your life.

It takes organization to pay the price for good things in advance. I'm grateful for Elizabeth's example in this area.


P.S. If you're wondering why this isn't Cody's post, remember we're going from youngest to oldest. Our children got married in oldest to youngest order, but they didn't necessarily select spouses with birthdays close to theirs. Be patient and we'll get to Cody soon!

Comments

  1. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

    What I loved about organization, is that, when accompanied by vision, (and where there is no vision the people perish, says the proverb), it allows me to focus on what is most important to me rather than on what is simply in front of me. I've never seen it on a list of Christ-like attributes before, but I agree that it belongs there.

    I didn't used to be so organized, but it is the top thing that has gotten me through so many babies in such little time without becoming overly frazzled. When Evelyn as about six-months old, I came across this quote from Sister Beck:

    "Nurturing requires organization, patience, love, and work."

    I thought it significant that she chose only four things for that list and that one of them, the first one, was organization. I had never considered organization's role in motherhood, but I felt like that was something that I really needed/wanted to work on. I'm so glad I listened because it's been such a huge blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote from Sister Beck and totally agree with it. Even something as little as keeping the diaper bag restocked makes a huge difference in our ability to nurture well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts