Attribute #4 - Respect


When I think of Beckham, I think of respect, although I'm not sure why, because he's still pretty young himself. Maybe it's because he was born on Pioneer Day and his name was chosen in part to honor his ancestors. Maybe it's because I can see him developing traits of obedience and kindness and charity. Maybe it's because all of my family members remind me of our family motto: Show Respect. Whatever the reason, respect is definitely a Christ-like quality and one I should be striving to attain and refine.


Respect: a sense of the worth of a person, esteem for the excellence of a personal quality or ability; deference to privileged position; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment

Psalms 119:15
"I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways."

Photo Credit: Simon Dewey
One Christmas season, President Gordon B. Hinckley counseled:

Said Jesus: “Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them.” (Matthew 7:12.)

May I remind us at this Christmas season that if only each of us would reflect occasionally on that Christ-given mandate and make an effort to observe it, this would be a different world. There would be greater happiness in our homes; there would be kinder feelings among our associates; there would be much less of litigation and a greater effort to compose differences. There would be a new measure of love and appreciation and respect.

There would be more generous hearts, more thoughtful consideration and concern, and a greater desire to spread the gospel of peace and to advance the work of salvation among the children of men. 

Beckham didn't have to wait until December this year, he got to meet Santa in July!

Comments

Popular Posts