The Gift of Time

This morning I read a talk given by President Henry B. Eyring at BYU in 1986 (before he was President Eyring) and I thought I'd record a few quotes from it here. Once again, it's an excellent address that I will want to review later some day.

Child of Promise

"Since I know something of the anxiety the pressure of time creates in your life, I would like to share with you what little I have learned in my life about how to handle that feeling of hurry. It could help you in your life. It’s important to be sure we agree on the nature of the problem. Time passes at a fixed rate and we can’t store it. You can just decide what to do with it or not to do with it."

"Even a moment’s reflection will help you see that the problem of using your time well is not a problem of the mind but of the heart. It will only yield to a change in the very way we feel about time. The value of time must change for us. And then the way we think about it will change, naturally and wisely."

"Time is the property we inherit from God, along with the power to choose what we will do with it. President [Brigham] Young calls the gift of life, which is time and the power to dispose of it, so great an inheritance that we should feel it is our capital."

"One of the things that makes you a child of promise is that you know God’s promises, and you know their purpose is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. You will invest your time wisely if you value the promises."

"Now, I haven’t solved the problem of your busy schedules. You will still feel you are in a hurry and you will still find yourself not reaching the end of every list. In fact, you may find your list changing and even growing larger. But you can have peace and confidence in your choices."

No, he hasn't solved the problem of the never-ending to-do list, but he has given me hope that I can be successful and productive in doing what the Lord wants me to do. I hope this helps you as well!

Comments

Popular Posts