The Challenge to Remember

I came across this quote the other day, and it reminded me of an experience we had years ago.

And the challenge to remember has always been the hardest for those who are blessed abundantly. Those who are faithful to God are protected and prospered. That comes as the result of serving God and keeping His commandments. But with those blessings comes the temptation to forget their source. It is easy to begin to feel the blessings were granted not by a loving God on whom we depend but by our own powers. 
--Henry B. Eyring, "O Remember, Remember"


I first heard the hymn "Because I Have Been Given Much" during an adult fireside we attended soon after the new* hymnbook had been published. I loved it then, and still do. I'm not sure what topic the speakers addressed, but I imagine it was something along the lines of "pay your tithing" and "live within your means." What I do remember, though, is realizing that night that financial prosperity can be a real trial in our lives. As President Eyring noted, humans have a tendency to forget God when things are going well. Doing so is not good for our eternal welfare. It takes constant attention to recognize God's hand in our lives, to be humble and grateful, and to be willing to share our good fortune with others. I'm glad I was taught that lesson early, and I'm grateful for the blessings that have come into our life as we've tried to remember God - and the source of those many blessings - constantly and always.

Wayne's favorite scripture!
*It's been thirty years since that version of the hymnbook was released, and this month the church announced that a new one is in the works. So for those reading this post in the future, I'm talking about the 1985 version of the LDS hymnbook.

Comments

Popular Posts