Karren Nielsen Pedersen Rau

One of my dad's cousins wrote a little biography of my great-great grandmother, which can be found here. Here's the introduction:

"Karren Nielsen Pedersen Rov (Rau) (Rogo) was the daughter of Nels Peter Anderson, who was a sailor, and Karen Maren M. She was born 1 February 1826 at the Isle of Fejo, Lolland, Denmark. I know very little of her early life, only that she worked for some of the Dukes and Earls in Copenhagen when she was a grown girl. She and her sister Maren joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and came to America in June 1861."

After describing the journey to England, then New York, then Nebraska, she shared a bit about the journey across the plains:

"My grandmother was in Captain Woolley's company. She walked the entire distance leading a cow. She gathered grass in her apron as she walked along to feed the cow when they camped. She had one pair of shoes which wore out before she had come half of the way. the remainder of the way she was barefooted. She never told of her travels so very little is known. She met my grandfather, Carl Johan Beckstrand in the same company. They were sealed in the Endowment House by Daniel H. Wells on February 28, 1863."

We may not have many more details, but our family does still have the bucket she used to milk the cow she led across the plains.


This bucket is 150 years old. I was reminded to look for it when cleaning out a kitchen cupboard and discovering a 50 year old pitcher. I'm sure I had plenty of milk to drink as a young girl, but I don't really remember that. I do remember having KoolAid which was mixed in this pitcher.


I doubt this pitcher is used to mix KoolAid, or anything else, now. However, even though the purpose of going through the cupboard was to pare down and get rid of unnecessary items, I couldn't bear to throw this away. (Getting rid of the extra plastic pitchers and water bottles was not a problem at all, so I feel we accomplished our purpose.) Maybe we'll make a special drink for lunch this week and use our newer family heirloom. Should we mix it in the old milk bucket first?


A few years ago I did posts on our pioneer ancestors. Here's Karren's. I'm so grateful for each of them and their willingness to accept the gospel when they heard it and make the sacrifices they did to live it. I hope I can continue to pass on that example of continually striving to live the gospel and being faithful to our covenants.

Comments

Popular Posts