A Talk on Temples


Soon after her baptism, Michelle was asked to give a talk in Primary. I don't recall if the topic was assigned or if she chose it herself, but the subject she spoke on was temples. I love her insights and thought her nieces and nephews who are in Primary now might like to hear them as well. Who knows, maybe this will help them the next time they're asked to give a talk!


Michelle’s Talk
Primary – 20 October 2002

I had the chance to go to the Kirtland Temple this summer with my cousins and family members.  It was the first temple built in the latter days and it had steep stairs.  I was able to go inside because it’s no longer a dedicated temple.  I also had a chance to walk around the St. George Temple, the Salt Lake Temple and the Palmyra Temple.  I couldn’t go inside of those because they are dedicated and you need a recommend.  When I’m 12, I can talk to the bishop and go to help with baptisms for the dead.  Then, when I’m an adult, I can get my own recommend to go to the temple.  In order to be worthy, I need to start practicing things now.

Here are some things I can do to prepare to go to the temple:
1. Develop “faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.”
2. Learn how to repent and then do it
3. “Be baptized by immersion for the remission of sins.”
4. Receive the Holy ghost
5. Be obedient to my parents and teachers.
6. Pay my tithing.
7. Be modest, which for girls means don’t wear bikinis and tank tops and short shorts.
8. Don’t take drugs. Obey the Word of Wisdom.
9. Do the Six B’s [see here] and follow the prophet.
10. Follow all the commandments.

President Spencer W. Kimball said:
“We say to all youth regardless of what country is your home, your Heavenly Father expects you to marry for eternity and rear a good strong family.  We recommend that all boys and girls plan from their infancy up [that means from when they are babies] to be married only in the temple, to keep their lives spotless so that this can be accomplished.” [See here and here.]

I was only 2 ½ when we had a family night lesson on preparing to go to the temple.  My brothers and I all made the commitment to follow this counsel and plan to be married in the temple when we were old enough.  Maybe I’ll be able to get married in the Oakland Temple, the same one where my parents were married.

President Kimball also said [see here] there are some decisions you only need to make once, then you don’t ever have to worry about what you’re going to do again.  Deciding to get married in the temple is one of these decisions.  You can all make that commitment, too.

I hope we can all choose the right and live worthy so that when we’re old enough we can do baptisms for the dead and then get married in the temple.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Although it wasn't the one in Oakland, Michelle did make it to the temple as an adult. We're so proud of her!

Comments

Popular Posts