A 50th Anniversary

 Today is the 50th anniversary of my confirmation, the day I became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I don’t feel old enough for that to be the case. However, it is, and I felt I should acknowledge that somehow; this post is the result.

Last summer I had a scripture study activity on testimonies with some of our grandchildren; we traced around our hands and wrote something we knew to be true for each finger. (Similar to the idea found here.) We had a great time discussing testimonies for a few minutes, and while I doubt they’ll remember that evening as I do, I hope they always remember that I have a testimony, and that that knowledge will help them have a desire to gain their own.

1. I know that I am a child of God and that Heavenly Father loves me.

2. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer.

3. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, and that the Book of Mormon is true.

4. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the restored church of Christ on the earth today.

5. I know that we have a living prophet who guides us through revelation from God.

A testimony can cover many things, but these statements provide a great foundation. My parents taught me well, and I believed them. I don’t really remember much of what I thought as a newly-baptized 8-year-old, but I know I knew that God existed and that he loved me. There’s a reason our testimonies start there. It’s also the reason my favorite song at the time was “My Heavenly Father Loves Me.”

1970

As a teenager, I worked to gain my own testimony. I tried to choose the right and keep the commandments. I went to church and seminary and youth activities, and learned how the Spirit speaks to me. Before I graduated from high school, I had had many special experiences and could say for myself that I knew Joseph Smith was a prophet and that he restored the true church of Christ. One of those experiences involved this hymn – “Joseph Smith’s First Prayer.”

1980

During the next decade, as we got married and our family grew, my faith and knowledge continued to grow. There were lots of opportunities to serve others at home and in the church, to practice “I’m Trying to be like Jesus.”

1990

You’ll have to go to other posts to see our growing family, but as it did, my testimony continued to grow as well. In particular, during these years I remember finally taking the time to actually pray to know if the Book of Mormon was true. I had never doubted what I’d been taught, so had never bothered asking. Once I did, though, the answer was pretty quick in coming, and I had something to share for the Relief Society lesson. Another special experience, related to the hymn “As I Search the Holy Scriptures,” reinforced my testimony of the Savior and the healing power of His Atonement.

2000

Teaching seminary is a great way to have lots and lots of experience with the Spirit teaching and guiding you. The day after President Hinckley died, I remember praying before seminary to know if President Monson was supposed to be our new prophet; I felt like I needed to follow my own advice before encouraging my students to pray and get their own testimony of the prophet. By then I had learned that God’s timing doesn’t always match ours, so I wasn’t really expecting an immediate answer. Maybe this memory is so powerful because I did. “We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet.”

2010

There was a time when I thought “More Holiness Give Me” was a boring and repetitive hymn. Not feeling that way now tells me that I’m continuing to learn and grow! A few years President Nelson ago encouraged each of us to study the Topical Guide entries for “Jesus Christ” and following that counsel was an incredible experience. It still is, because one things leads to another, that leads to another, which leads to another; there’s always something new to learn. I am grateful for my testimony and look forward to strengthening it over the next 50 years!

 

2020

Finally, remember one of my favorite quotes:

 

“The testimony you have today will not be your testimony of tomorrow. Your testimony is either going to grow and grow until it becomes as the brightness of the sun, or it is going to diminish to nothing, depending on what you do about it. The greatest responsibility that a member of Christ’s church has ever had is to become truly converted—and it is just as important to stay converted.” Harold B. Lee


Comments

  1. Congrats on 50 years! That's a wonderful thing to read today! How is your study of the Topical Guide scriptures going? I haven't fully gotten started. Have you been using the literal topical guide or a print off to find the verses? I've been using a scripture study tool called Scripture Notes that lets you study the verses and add notes next to them and create notes with the scriptures you want. I'll leave a link in case you want to try it out too! I hope your study brings you good blessings and fruit!
    https://scripturenotes.com/the-3-plus-levels-of-topical-guide-study

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts