Christmas Musings


While pondering some thoughts from this week's Come Follow Me lesson on Christmas, I realized I've experienced six decades of Christmas celebrations, and I ought to do something to honor that fact. This is the result. Rather than trying to find, or recreate, 61 pictures, I limited it to the "anniversary of the decade" ones. Even those leave something to be desired, but I hope my grandchildren enjoy seeing the changes the years bring. Which picture do you identify with the most?

1962

I have absolutely zero memories of my first Christmas, but someone took a picture, so at least there's something to add to this post for that year.

1972

Although not taken on Christmas Day, I imagine my family didn't change much from when this picture was taken that year. (Ask if you need help identifying everyone!)  Amazingly, I do remember at least one of my Christmas gifts from when I was ten - sewing lessons at the local Sears store. It's a gift that continues to bless my life, and I'm grateful my parents gave me that opportunity. 

1982

Newlyweds don't always have a lot of money; however, we did find some funds for a Christmas budget, which included a little tree (for $5) and even a few gifts underneath it. They may have been mostly practical items, but that's okay - they were given with love and thoughtfulness.

1992

You'll notice that once you become the mom, you're no longer in the pictures because you're taking them. A couple of memories (hooray for journals) that weren't recorded in a previous blogpost - Christmas 1992 - include watching the light bulb go off in an 8-year-old's brain to spell the word "Christ" plus "mas" ("Christmas" was on his spelling list)  and going out again with an almost 3-year-old to deliver goodies because the original family trip didn't include his friend's house. My goal that year was to help the boys feel the Christmas Spirit, and I think we succeeded.

2002

Look at the changes ten years brings! Our oldest was serving a mission and we were in the midst of school, church and extra-curricular activities with the ones at home. That year we tried to focus on the joy and sacrifice of giving, picking names off the Angel Tree to help with that, and doing a Twelve Days Secret Santa for a neighbor. We went caroling and participated in the ward choir, and hid the family gift in the neighbor's garage. Lots of great memories for Christmas 2002.

2012

Another ten years later our youngest son was serving his mission, so we still had the pleasure and highlight of a misisonary phone call. In addition we had two college students home for the holidays, whose gift to their dad included painting the house! See more at Christmas 2012

2022

This year it was just the two of us for the Christmas morning stocking picture, taken before heading off to church just like a regular Sunday. After worshipping with our church family, though, we did enjoy dinner at home with a few grandsons and their parents, plus had the opportunity to FaceTime with all the rest.

So what does all this have to do with my scripture pondering earlier in the week? 


First, I realized that traditions help us remember symbols which help us remember our Savior. I love trees (a reminder of everlasting, eternal life), lights and stars (Jesus is the Light of the World) and bread (Bethlehem), along with all the other symbols of Christmas. 


I am grateful that giving and receiving gifts reminds me of our greatest gift of all - that babe in the manger who grew up to be the Savior of the World. And I hope that the gifts I give to others helps them feel God's love. I realized that my favorite gifts - both to give and receive - are the individualized, even homemade, ones that often require personal sacrifice. 

In addition, I learned that I feel the Christmas spirit most reliably through music and service, particularly musical service. I am thankful for the opportunity I have to participate in singing and accompanying Christmas carols each year.

Finally, this year's "magical Christmas moment" came while watching this video. If you haven't seen it yet, I encourage you to view it. Have a very Merry Christmas, and may these special holiday feelings last all year long!

Comments

Popular Posts