Talmage Quote


I don't know how long ago I read Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage, but I remember reading a thought that helped me understand the sacrament better. Then, later when I wanted to share that with someone, I couldn't find it!

As I listened to Elder Christofferson's talk about "The Living Bread" from general conference this weekend, I prayed that he might share that quote so I could have it again. He didn't, but the Spirit did whisper to me where I might look to find it myself, and I did.

"To eat the flesh and drink the blood of Christ was and is to believe in and accept Him as the literal Son of God and Savior of the world, and to obey His commandments. By these means only may the Spirit of God become an abiding part of man's individual being, even as the substance of the food he eats is assimilated with the tissues of his body." (Jesus the Christ, James E. Talmage, page 342)

Before I had searched for this quote in Talmage's description of the last supper, but I found it in his commentary on this "living bread" sermon. I don't really have deep and profound thoughts like others I know, but I'm intrigued by this concept that what we partake of actually becomes part of us, and it helps strengthen my desire to become more holy and righteous, and gives me something to focus on during the sacrament each week.

Apparently I did stumble across it a while ago, so now it's recorded in two places. Hopefully next time I want to share it I'll remember where it is!

Comments

Popular Posts